Disney's Hollywood Studios
Disney's Studio theme park (then called Disney-MGM Studios) opened in 1989 as part theme park and part working animation, film and television production studios. Like its rival Universal Studios Florida®, most of the shows and rides take their inspiration from motion pictures and television.
In 2004 the animation department closed down and today most of the film work has been moved elsewhere but Disney's Hollywood Studios still has a lot to offer.
Compared to the other major Disney parks, Disney's Hollywood Studios is quite small; you can usually do it in a day
Disney's Hollywood Studios is one of our favourite parks with some of the best rides and attractions; it has a real feel-good factor. If you like the movies then you'll love Disney's Hollywood Studios!
Betty White riding with Mickey Mouse
Whereas the Magic Kingdom has its "lands", Disney's Hollywood Studios can effectively be split into a number of zones based upon streets and boulevards:
- Hollywood Boulevard - an Art Deco styled street which runs from the main entrance to the park and leads up to The Great Movie Ride housed in a replica of Mann's famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood
- Sunset Boulevard - the Art Deco style continues, with the famous Twilight Zone Tower of Terror&tm; and the new Rock 'n' Roller® Coaster starring Aerosmith
- Animation Courtyard - not as popular as it used to be now that the animation studios have closed but still has great attractions including Catastrophe Canyon and the new Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
- New York Street - home to the entertaining Jim Henson's Muppet™ Vision 3-D show and for the kids, the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
- Echo Lake - around the lake is the second stunt show, namely the Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular! and the "not to be missed" Star Tours simulator ride
Disney's Hollywood Studios has a number of live stage shows as well as a daily parade and a fantastic evening fireworks display. The afternoon parade runs from Hollywood Boulevard past Sounds Dangerous - Starring Drew Carey, Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular! and ends near the Star Tours simulator ride.
One of the newest attractions is the “walk-through” attraction called Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow.